Flaxseeds, also known as linseeds, are small, brown or golden-colored seeds. They are a rich source of dietary fiber, antioxidants, minerals, and plant-based proteins. Flaxseeds are one of the highest sources of omega 3-fatty acids.
Flaxseeds can be taken as whole or can be grounded and consumed. Consuming ground flax is more beneficial as compared to whole flaxseeds as whole flaxseeds shall pass through the body without being digested.
Flaxseeds and flaxseed oil produce numerous beneficial effects. They are linked to a number of health benefits, some of them are as follows:-
1) Prevents cardiovascular diseases
- The amino acids & omega 3 fatty acids of flaxseeds help in reducing high blood pressure.
- It aids in maintaining the heart’s natural rhythm.
- Further, it reduces cholesterol, prevents hardening of the arteries & lowers risk of stroke.
2) Prevents Cancer
- The antioxidants of flaxseeds help in preventing cancers of breast, colon, prostate & ovary.
- Flaxseeds can also decrease the tumor growth in patients with breast cancer thus, increasing their survival rates.
3) Controls Diabetes
- Regular consumption of flaxseeds can improve the blood sugar levels in diabetes.
- It can also delay the onset of diabetes.
4) Helps Weight loss
- The healthy fats of flaxseeds suppress appetite; enhance satiety & increases the feeling of fullness thus leading to weight loss.
- The lignin content of flaxseeds helps in fat burning and in boosting metabolism.
5) Fights Inflammation
- Omega-3 fatty acids of flaxseeds help in fighting against inflammation in the body.
6) Decreases Menopausal and Hormonal Imbalance Symptoms
- Regular intake of flaxseeds, in menstruating women, decreases menopausal symptoms such as mood disturbances and vaginal dryness.
- These seeds help in regularizing ovulation in menstruating women.
- It may also reduce menstrual cramps.
- Helps in easing hot flashes.
7) Boosts Digestive Health
- The soluble fiber in flaxseeds aids digestive digestion.
- It protects the lining of the GI tract.
- These seeds are beneficial in people suffering from certain digestive ailments.
- Flaxseeds maintain normal bowel movements thus, is considered as one of the best natural remedies for constipation.
8) Enhances Immunity
- Lignans content of flaxseed enhances the immune system and averts inflammatory diseases.
9) Improves Brain Health
- It helps in accelerating brain health.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are vital for maintaining healthy hair & nourishing hair.
- It makes the hair shinier, stronger and resistant to damage.
- It decreases dryness and flakiness.
- Prevents hair loss, dandruff and scalp conditions.
11) Keeps skin healthy
- Flaxseeds keep the skin hydrated & glowing.
- It enhances the moisture levels of skin thus, reducing wrinkles.
- Prevents skin conditions such as acne, psoriasis, eczema, etc.
- Reduces skin rashes, irritation, and redness of the skin
- Aids in faster healing of wounds.
Thus, to inculcate a healthy lifestyle it is essential to make flaxseeds a part of your dietary choices. Regular intake of flaxseeds can help you gain several health benefits.