Honey is produced by honeybees using nectar from flowers. It is used both, as a food and as a medicine. Honey is a combination of sugar, minerals, amino acids & vitamins which possesses antioxidants, anti-fungal & antibacterial properties. Thus, offering numerous health benefits.
There are various medicinal benefits of honey though just 13 of the health benefits of honey are mentioned below:
1. Improves Heart Health
- The antioxidants present in honey improve heart health.
- These antioxidants help in reducing the elevated blood pressure & in reducing the risk of heart diseases.
2. Improves Cholesterol levels
- Honey is considered to have positive effects on cholesterol levels.
- It reduces bad cholesterol while increasing good cholesterol.
- Honey helps dilate the arteries of the heart thus, increasing the blood flow to the heart. It also prevents blood clot formation which may lead to heart attacks and strokes.
- Honey further also reduces triglyceride levels.
3. Relieves Cold and Cough Symptoms
- Honey is considered as a natural & safe cough remedy.
- Honey relieves nocturnal cough & also improves quality of sleep.
- It is not advisable to give honey to children under one year of age.
4. Soothes Sore Throat
The antimicrobial properties of honey, not only relieves sore throat but it also kills the bacteria that cause infection.
5. Eases Digestive Complaints
- Honey reduces the upward flow of stomach acid and prevents damaging the cells lining the digestive tract, thus preventing acid reflux.
- Honey further decreases the inflammation in the esophagus by providing a coating for its mucous membrane.
- It is found to decrease the duration & severity of diarrhea. It also possesses the ability to block the action of diarrhea-causing pathogens.
6. Useful in Weight Management
- Honey is considered as one of the best foods useful in weight loss.
- Consuming honey with warm water on an empty stomach early in the morning helps in increasing the metabolism, which further aids in the rapid reduction of weight.
7. Resolves scalp complaints and dandruff
- The antibacterial properties of honey are useful in resolving scalp complaints & dandruff issues.
- To get rid of scalp complaints & dandruff, equal proportions of honey & water are to be mixed and the scalp is to be massaged.
- Honey further offers nourishment to dry hair and can also prevent hair fall.
8. Useful in diabetics
- Honey is considered as a healthy alternative to artificial sweeteners in diabetics.
- It fails to accelerate the sugar in the bloodstream and is safe for use in diabetics.
- It is further known to decrease fasting serum glucose.
9. Strengthens Immune system & Boosts Energy
- The antioxidants and bacteria-fighting properties of honey aids against fighting infections thus, boosting the immunity.
- The carbohydrate content of honey provides strength & energy to our bodies.
- Honey is effective in instantly boosting the performance & in decreasing the muscle fatigue of athletes. Honey is identified as an exceptional source of natural source of energy.
10. Promotes Sleep
- Consuming a tablespoon of honey before bedtime helps in promoting sleep.
11. Boosts Memory
- Honey helps in boosting memory and concentration.
- Consumption of honey aids calm and soothe the brain, which helps in enhancing memory in the long run.
- Honey helps in withdrawing cells that cause memory loss.
12. Treats skin Complaints
- The antibacterial & antiseptic properties of honey are effective in treating various skin complaints.
- Honey is found to be the best natural moisturizer. Regular application of honey enhances the complexion and offers a shiny, smooth & spotless skin.
13. Promotes Burn and Wound Healing
- Topical application of honey helps in healing wounds and burns.
- It is believed that the healing powers of honey come from its antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Honey further has the ability to speed up the healing process by providing a moist environment and in increasing the flow of nutrients to the affected tissue.
- Honey is effective in destroying various pathogens such as E. Coli & methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, that cause skin infections.
- Honey helps in promoting the healing process in case of dormant wounds.
- Honey is also found to be effective in diabetic foot ulcers.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of honey help in reducing swelling, pain and even scarring.
So what are you waiting for, go ahead and grab a jar of honey to benefit from the numerous properties of honey? But, do keep in mind that in spite of honey possessing several health benefits, it is advisable to consume honey only in moderation.