Did you hear highly of CBD oil from your known ones? Well, CBD is surely a wonder oil. Wondering what is this oil, from where it comes and what it does? Then, read on to learn about it.
CBD oil is basically an oil that is derived from marijuana. It can be used for medical purposes like reducing pain and inflammation. However, as we all know it is derived from cannabis which basically is a drug, so it is not legal everywhere. FDA (FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION) has approved the use of Epidiolex which is just a purified form of CBD OIL.
Cannabis does contain a wide range of compounds, with different effects some good for health and some not.
There are two products obtained from marijuana
- CBD OIL
- THC- delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol
THC was the best-known compound of cannabis because it can be consumed in food. It has a psychological effect because it is the most active constituent of cannabis. Whereas CBD is not psychoactive, it does not affect the persons mind when they are consuming it, but it does show some medical changes in person’s body.
How CBD Works
Now let’s find out how CBD oil works-
The cannabinoids effect the body by interacting with cannabinoid receptors. Our body produces contain 2 receptors;
- CB1 receptors- they are responsible for movement, pain, memories, mood and other functions. They are basically present in whole body mostly in brain.
- CB2 receptors- they are basically responsible for inflammation and pain, they are present in our immune system.
Well, this is all about CBD oil and its source. Now let’s find out some of its benefits.
Uses of CBD Oil
There are various benefits of using it some of them are listed below-
- Pain relief and anti-inflammation –CBD releases those compounds in body which trigger inflammation in the body. Conventional drugs can also help in reliving pain but CBD oil is preferred more. A 2019 study proved that CBD can directly be applied to inflammatory skin as an ointment.
- Epilepsy- After spending so much time in researches, FDA approved the use of CBD oil in treatment of Epilepsy. There are 2 forms of epilepsy that are hard to cure with other medication
- Lennox-Gastaut syndrome
- Dravet syndrome
However, CBD oil has shown better results in curing these conditions. So, the use of CBD oil is preferred more than other medications.
- Fighting cancer- CBD oil can help in fighting cancer it can prevent some type of cancer from spreading, these compounds suppress the growth of cancer cells and promote their destruction. CBD has low level of toxicity. CBD is also used in chemotherapy drugs to immune system responsible for cancer treatment.
- Anxiety disorders- doctors do not advice the use of cannabis to avoid anxiety as it triggers or amplify feelings or anxiousness and paranoia. CBD, on the other hand, may reduce anxiety. Recent studies have shown that CBD significantly reduced symptoms in mice with anxiety.
- Type-1 diabetes – well you see type 1 diabetes occur when the immune system attacks cells in pancreas, leading to inflammation. In 2016, researchers found the evidence that CBD may ease this inflammation and protect against onset of type 1 diabetes.
CBD appeared to have neuroprotective effects on rats with diabetes.
- Acne- who would have thought that cannabis derivatives may help to get rid acne. A 2014 study showed that CBD reduces the production of sebum that leads to acne, partly because of its anti-inflammatory effect.
And CBD is becoming more common ingredient in skin creams and ointment.
- Quitting smoking- don’t believe me then let’s just let me explain, 2013 study showed that smokers who inhaled containing CBD smoked fewer cigarette than usual containing nicotine this suggested that CBD may help people quit smoking. CBD also helps to reduce cravings during withdrawal from tobacco because of its relaxing effects.
How to apply/use CBD oil?
Let discuss about how you can use the CBD oil –
Well you see there are various ways of using it and trust me they are not smoking the whole cannabis. If a doctor prescribe it for epilepsy then it is really important to follow the instructions given by them .
Ways of using CBD OIL-
- Consuming them with pipette or dropper
- Taking capsules
- Massaging a gel into the skin
- Spraying it under the tongue
- And lastly consuming them with food and drinks
Dosage may vary between person to person and it does depend on factors such as:
- Body weight
- The concentration of product
- The reason for using CBD
These were some of the advantages of CBD oil. However, there are some risks and side effects also let’s take a look at them also-
You see as compared to other therapies CBD may entail some risks. It interacts with other supplements and other drugs, most of CBD products do not have FDA approval, which means they have to go thorough tests. Following are some of the adverse effects:
- Liver damage
- Interaction with other drugs
- Change in alertness
- Mood swings
- A reduction of fertility in males
Overall, it can be concluded that CBD oil is a wonder oil if taken in the right quantity and in the right manner. Also, one should follow FDA guidelines while using CBD oil.